Who can submit a film?
Any filmmaker (professional or amateur) can submit a film as long as the film complies with the admission criteria.
What are the admission criteria?
- The director or producer of the film is Portuguese, or the film was shot in Portugal;
- At least one of the directors is a woman or the film depicts at least one female protagonist;
- It has a maximum length of 45 minutes;
- It has been produced between 2015 and 2017.
Is there a prize?
If your film wins the competitive section of the Festival, you will be invited to be part of the jury of Frames 2019 and the transportation (including airline fare) and accommodation will be on us.
The winning director/producer will also be awarded a monetary prize of 500 Euro.
Who is the jury?
The jury is composed of three members:
- Cristèle Alves Meira, winning director of last year's Grand Prize for Best Short Film;
- Sabrina D. Marques, invited Portuguese director;
- A representative of the Swedish film industry, which will be announced in early 2018.
What are the judging criteria that define which films will be part of the official selection?
Films will be judged on originality, creativity, plot, pacing, cinematography, production value, sound, how they portray women and if they pass the Bechdel test (where relevant).
In what form can I submit my film?
All films should be submitted using the submission platforms and indicate a link and password for the jury to access the film. No hard copies are needed at this stage.
Should my film be subtitled?
Yes, all films must have English subtitles. These can be embedded in the film or sent as *.srt or *.sub files.
How long/short should my film be?
We accept short films with a maximum running time of 45 minutes.
What premiere status do you require?
Films should have been released no earlier than 2015.
Can I submit more than one film?
Absolutely. However you must fill in a separate form per film.
What is the entry fee?
You can submit your film for free until 30 November 2017 (early bird). The regular deadline is between 1-15 December, with an entry fee of 10 EUR (12 USD). An extended deadline is available until 31 December, for a fee of 20 EUR (24 USD).
If I decide not to enter the competition, can I be refunded?
Unfortunately we do not issue refunds.
Still have questions?
Get in touch with André Spencer - email@example.com